Israel’s foreign minister says he will not sign a US request for a ceasefire
Foreign Minister Avigdor Lieberman told Israeli media on Thursday that he would not sign any US request to halt a war between Israel and the Palestinians that has killed hundreds of people.
The Palestinian Authority, which runs the West Bank, Gaza Strip and East Jerusalem, accuses Israel of violating international law by launching more than 50,000 rockets into Israel, which has been waging a sustained war against the Palestinians.
The Palestinians, who control East Jerusalem and the West Cave, say the rockets come from the Gaza Strip, not Israel.
Israel says its war against Hamas, which it considers a terrorist organization, is aimed at halting attacks on its cities and towns.
Israel has also faced a growing wave of protests, with many calling for the suspension of its military campaign, which began in the summer of 2014.
Netanyahu has been criticised by some quarters for failing to end the fighting and instead supporting Hamas, who is the main political rival to him.
Last week, Israel agreed to a truce with Hamas that is expected to be signed on Friday.
Israel’s cabinet approved the peace deal last month, but Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu is not expected to sign it until Friday.
The US and Europe have voiced concern over the deal, which could pave the way for more fighting.